Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Student Teaching - Day 45

Sorry to disappoint, but videos will be rare from here on out.  Student teaching is taking up a lot of my energy and free time.  I don't think I will survive.

It's not that the kids are wearing me out or anything.  In fact, they are really great kids.  They rarely misbehave, and when they do it is usually because they are flirting with each other.

No, it's the wedding planning and being away from my fiance that are killing me.  Every day, I go to school and I teach and give and am selfless, and then by the time I get home, I have tons of emails, texts, phone calls and errands to run for the wedding planning.  Then of course, I want to take time to talk to my fiance, so by the time everything is in a stable condition (No! Not crossed off the to-do list!  Just in a manageable place!) I get to go to sleep and wake up and do it all over again. 

I have no idea how teachers have a life outside of their jobs.  I feel like I could always be tweaking and improving my instruction methods and course ideas.  Or grading.  Or building better student-teacher relationships. Or contacting parents.  Or brainstorming with other teachers.  There is just so much to do and so little time to do it!

So many days I send my students out of class and I wonder, did I really teach them anything?  What did they get out of today's lesson?  Do they feel that the work they are doing is important for their success in life, like I do?

Luckily, these questions don't keep me up at night.  Nothing does!  I'm too tired to think, I usually just collapse at the end of the day.  I can't keep this up forever, but I feel like it is worth it to pour my heart into my teaching and do my really best.  The good news is there are only 20 days left!  I hope I use them well!

No comments: