Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Student Teaching - Day 63


During the first two weeks of class, I was required to record myself teaching.  That part wasn't very painful, but watching the video sure was!  In my last week of teaching, I decided to record my accounting class and see if I've made any progress.  I chose to use my accounting class as the test because it has been my most difficult subject to get a handle on.
Below is my reflection on both videos:

Recording # 1

1. What do you feel was successful in your teaching?
I had a good idea to get students involved.  It was clever to put the information at the student’s level so that they could connect with it.  I also did an ok job of explaining the concepts, though it would have been better to have more vocabulary.

2. What do you feel could use improvement in your teaching?
Everything!  I feel like I was not a very “with it” teacher in the video.  I look confused and like I don’t know what I’m doing and I feel really bad for my accounting class and how they’ve put up with my bad teaching.  I feel like I wasn’t teaching, I was just fumbling everywhere. I also talk too much to myself.  And I do too much walking back and forth from the front to the back because my materials were not together.  I also turned my back to the class while writing on the board.  I also had terrible wait time.
I had no idea that the student I wanted to involve (Porter) was just flirting with the girl in the front row the whole time.  I feel like every time I turned my back or was busy organizing my materials, he walked over to flirt with this girl, was talking to her, or getting her to walk over to him.  Not to mention him waving to the camera after finding a Kleenex.  I can’t believe that I was missing that the whole time!  I feel so oblivious!
I also noticed that it took me 15 minutes to get class going! If I was better prepared, then I could have used that time more wisely.  When I did get it going, I didn’t demand that people stop talking – or take over their screens to help them focus.  My introduction also took about 15 minutes instead of about 5 minutes. And it took me five minutes to get the document camera going.

3. What are your goals for improvement based on this experience?
I would like to develop better vocabulary to explain the concepts more clearly.
I would also like to do a better job of managing student behavior.
I would like to manage the technology and my materials better so that class runs more smoothly.
I would also like to use students’ names to reinforce correct information.

Recording # 2

1. What do you feel has improved in your teaching?
I feel that I am doing a better job monitoring the classroom, there was not as much wandering around and the students were doing a great job at focusing and going along with me.  I also did a better job of using their names to reinforce learning and I did a good job of listening to student responses.  I also did not get as confused with the content. I was much better prepared for this class than the lass class.  I also did a much better job of managing my materials and did not walk back and forth as much as the last class.  I was more clear in my directions and my transitions into activities were much smoother.

2. What areas do you feel could use improvement in your teaching?
I could do better at student recognition and letting the students shine when they have accomplished something difficult.  Students had just taken a test and I forgot to congratulate those who had done very well.  (I also did not say thank you to my student volunteer, or give him professional development bucks for helping me out!)
I could improve more by being better prepared with the material and practicing explaining it to myself a few times before I try to explain it to my students. I kind of got off track in my lecture, but I did do a better job of getting back on track to get class finished.
I did a good job giving hints that will help with the homework, so that students will not get confused (Ex: what recommendations to make to lower expenses).

3. What are your professional goals based on this experience?
I would like to develop more procedures to give students recognition in class.
I would like to study Accounting more so that I can be more comfortable with my content.
I would like to build stronger Teacher-Student relationships and do what I can to help them be successful.
I would like to relax, smile, have fun and be myself more in class.  It took me a long time to finally get comfortable enough with what I’m doing to have fun with the students.
I would like to find a more relaxed pace and not go too fast for the slower students.
I would like to develop more of my own curriculum pieces to help students learn to problem solve and get more creative in class.

No comments: