Saturday, August 2, 2008

A poem for T.H.

In the darkness,
you reach over to feel
my lips as you toss crunchy,
salty, sweet pieces of your heart
into my mouth.
While the plot is moving forward,
we are nose to nose;
and I'm not making it easy on you.


In the absence,
you trace my life-line with your fingertips,
soft and moist, thick with skin and bone.
I feel younger with each stroke,
like you are removing the heavy years
with every gentle graze,
until I am a virgin Cinderella,
and you my handsome prince,
the hero anxious to kiss my hand.
Though we practice lifts like ballroom dancers
between aisles of greeting cards,
I feel like we are at the finest banquet
experiencing our first taste of movement,
with saffron petticoats reflected in gold trimmed mirrors.


Out of the light,
with only my toes keeping me on earth
and your lips pulling me toward heaven,
I feel a glimpse of eternity
in the wonder
of a first kiss.

No comments: