Friday, August 1, 2008

"By their fruits ye shall know them"

Part I

The light in me is often hard to see
Not always am I crystal clear.
The disguise is heavy, but I've grown
to cherish its weight in my bones.
When I see the light in you,
and how easily you share its truth,
hope rises and forces the mask to flake
from my skin, like little seeds
sprouting greens through dark soil.
I thought that I woud teach you.
Now I'm the over-confident Senior,
learning from the Freshman how to
open up and let the light into
my core.

Part II

As I kiss the sugar off your lips,
weightlessness envelopes me.
How can I know so little
(and feel even less)
when I'm expected to be the opposite.
I wonder,
what will the fruits
of our friendship taste like?
Sweet?
Bitter?
Most likely, bitter-sweet -
life's favorite flavor.
If only all my future loves
could be as warm as your
southern accent in my ear.

No comments: